fredag den 14. november 2014

Week 16 - study no. 9

Dette indlæg på dansk

Why, isn't that the guitar he played om Halloween? Supposing anyone pays enough attention to know, that I played another guitar than usual on Halloween...

But it is. I couldn't let go of the thought of it, and had to acquire it. So now I am the proud owner of not only my faithful companion built by acknowledged luthier Ignazio Rozas, but also a fabulous guitar, built by a man very few guitarists, primarily in Denmark even know exist; built in his basement during the course of the winter 2011-12 from exquisite materials. Each piece of wood has a history of how it came to be in that basement. A spruce top, aged a 100 years, and back and sides from honest to God Brazilian Rosewood from before the international trade ban, found in a corner somewhere years back.

During my visit, when I came to buy the guitar, I was given a tour of the workshop, and hadthorough explanations of many of the processes involved in guitar making - a subject I knew embarrassingly little about. I am completetly taken aback by the time and effort spent in making my instrument, with the sole purpose of creating as good an instrument as conditions allowed. I only hope to do the guitar justice, and to hopefully move a few people through my playing it, through my future career.

It's not, that I'll ever stop playing my Rozas; but now there is also a Hansen to share the playing hours.

Oh, and by the way, this weeks study is numer 9 (Anyone hearing the voice of John Lennon saying that rigth now? "Number nine.... Number nine..."), and of couse I am playin the Hansen, celebrating acquisition. It needs to sound so easy and simple, this one, and I am gonne need quite a lot more than a week to fully accomplish that; but the concept here is to share, what I am able to prepare in one week, so... The musical material is very limited, and the interpretation needs to be kept simple; it's the sort of melody a child would improvise in sing-song, humming freely whilst playing a game, and thus the simple, but not easily played accompaniment in the second half of the study must be kept as light and elegang as humanly possible in order nt to give an unnatural weight to the music, contradicting the soul of the meldody.

No more procrastination now... This is where I am at after one week of study of this study (awkward sentence). All practise sessions have been slightly on the short side, and forced in between oh, so many other things that needed to be done, but hey, story of my life, right?

Etude no 9 from Thomas Lyng Poulsen on Vimeo.



Direct link to video

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar