søndag den 7. september 2014

Week 6 - Chorinho from Suite Populaire Bresilienne

Dette indlæg på dansk

"The odd one out", is the phrase I instinctively pin onto this weeks movement; the last movement of the suite, and in many ways, oddly detached from the rest of the suite's movements. It is not titled as a traditional dance in a choro-wrapping. It is merely a small choro, nothing else. In spite of the simpler title, this is audibly more complex in terms of harmony and in the way the 3 different themes transition into one another, although the overall form is identical to that of the others.

A few weeks ago, I had, as I said last week, totally forgotten, that this movement is part of the suite. That is how different it feels to me, from the rest of the suite. On top of all that, it is a bit of a quirky way, to end a suite. It does have some forward energy in the third theme (A major - píu mosso), but returns to the opening tempo of Lent in the end, refusing to seize the oportunity for a bravoura-ending to the suite. It is no wonder, that the movements of the suite are most often played as standalone pieces, rather than as a set. The set feels lopsided to me, regardsless of the fact, that I have come to appreciate each of the individual movements quite a bit, through working on them.

I will, however, try to find some meaning with the suite as a set over the coming weeks, and give it form as a whole. Hopefully it will open itself up to me, when I work on it, as have each movement so far.

I had the opportunity to revisit the Mazurka and the Scottisch over the weekend, when I played at a small wedding dinner. I am happy to say, that they had matured during the weeks since I learned them, giving me hope, that all the movements of the suite will have behaved likewise, when I revisit them.

Next up in line, are the 12 studies. I have, of course a copy of the 1928 manuscript with me, that I will study alongside the Max Eschig edition. I don't know, that I will be able to upload 2 versions of each study weekly in the weeks to come - on the other hand, 24 weeks, before I get to the next set, the Preludes, seems a very long outlook, to have to have, from my current viewpoint.

If I put the suite together next, or jump right into the studies... Next weeks update will tell. I haven't decided. My mood, when I sit down to work Monday morning will decide for me.

Chorinho from Suite Populaire Bresilienne *Work in progress* from Thomas Lyng Poulsen on Vimeo.


Direct link to video

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar