fredag den 31. oktober 2014

Week 14 - Etude no. 7

Dette indlæg på dansk

Hey! Is that a new guitar? Well, it's another one, than the one I usually play. i had the pelasure of visiting the amateur luthier Hans-Henrik Hansen today, and plying his guitar. The one in the video, is my absolute favorite among them, allthough tey all possess a certain charm. He extended the extreme kindness of letting me borrow this one, to be able to form a complete picture of itøs nature, and give him my opinion about it. The first step in getting to know the guitar, was making this weeks video - I am very peased with the guitar, but there are places, where it is obvious, that we will have to get better aquainted, and learn some more about each other, before we are able to avoid areas, where our sound together is less than beautiful...

I am still reading about Villa-Lobos, when not playing him, and am glad to note, that even though he produced an almost inhuman amount of pieces, and relatively few of them were for guitar, all of them are - so far without exeption - mentioned in the books on the man and the music. In other words, I have the pleasure og playing some of the best pieces by one of the most important composers of early 20th century Latin America.

This weeks study is the seventh; one I have played before, and one, that I love deraly for it's improvisory scale passages, and the freedom of expression they offer, alongside the lyrical passages, featuring hipswaing brasilian women, that dance to the gently rocking accompaniment.

the video was shot in one of the teaching rooms at the music school I work at, after preparing the stage for this years Halloween concert, before the school was invaded by witches and vampires. I was actually planinning the study in full vampire-getup, but in the end, the teeth were to big a distraction. You'll have to settle for the rare sight of my humble self in a tuxedo.

Etude no 7 from Thomas Lyng Poulsen on Vimeo.


Direct link to video

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar