fredag den 5. december 2014

Week 19 - study no 12

http://guitarconfessions.blogspot.com/2014/12/uge-19-etude-no-12.html

And then it was time - time for the last of the studies, and time for looking ahead at the preludes. The feedback, I have received on various platforms to my videos and this project in general, shows, that the studies are generally considered good music, while the preludes are somewhat more frowned upon by some. And there is a nucleus of truth, to that view upon them, as I see it.

The musical material of the preludes is (too) simple. The expression of them, is sentimental, bordering pathetic. The virtuoso passages build on the principles, which is also found in the studies, meaning static chord-forms moving up and down the neck, with a repeated right hand picking-pattern. This tends to come off as cheap tricks, when it is presented in a context other than a study. Some would go as far as calling it virtuosery (if that's a words) without substance. The muscal material is repeated almost ad nauseam. Almost to much consideration goes into making the pieces ideomatic - it seems almost more as guitarisism tham music.

These were only SOME of the things I see critisized, and tend to agree with. That just doesn't change, that I am looking forward to playing them as much as my three-year-old is looking forward to christmas! Being completely honest, I do have an inkling toward the sentimental and overdressed - just on occasion. I love to use all the cheap tricks in the book of guitar. I love to play things, that make me look like more of a virtuoso, than I might be. Just on occasion. I choose to see the preludes as desserts, after the heavy meal of studies. And I do love desserts. Maybe not every day; but on occasion. Nad more often than I should.

Here is study no 12. Not many words needed on that one, I think. Just full steam ahead.

etude no 12 from Thomas Lyng Poulsen on Vimeo.


Direct link to video

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar