fredag den 24. oktober 2014

Week 13 - Study no. 6

Dette indlæg på dansk

Study no. 6 is not the most daunting of the 12 studies. Not that I nail it completely after one week of studying it, but with regards to form and memorisation, it's quite manageable, compared to the other Villa-Lobos solo guitar pieces. The weekly video recording process is a great learning exerience for me, clearly highlighting some interesting aspects of performance psychology, and how it manifests with me. One example being, that I have a strong tendency towards over playing, when the camera is running, and thereby losing much of that, which I believe to be the major strengths of the guitar - namely the richness of colour and the ability to pull the listener very close to the instrument and the performer. I tried to work against this tendency in this weeks video, and intend to keep focusing on this during the coming weeks, convinced as I am, that it will be to the obvious benefit of the musical output.

This, by the way is the halfway mark, with regards to the set of studies. I am starting to feel the tingling sensation, that I got to know as a child, when Christmas was approaching... Can't wait till the day comes, when I know the whole set from within! A complete playthrough must be the ultimate guitar warmup! Perhaps even better than going for a run!

last week, I forgot to mention, that I played a "toddler concert" at a nearby library early in the week. Around 20 small children ages 1½ - 2 years, and their adults, letting themselves dissapear into the world of 25 minutes of instrumental guitar music without any trace of pretence, behavioral filters and polite concert going habits (which are not bad things in themselves, by the way), is a moving and affirming experience. To get to be the one, who sits at the centre of such an experience is a great, great honor. Playing these concerts gives me a very clear and tangible insight into why I do, what I do. One that can fade to the far back of the mind, in a busy day-to-day life. Having the now 3-year-old, that inspired me, to create these concerts 2 years ago, and his mother there to experience it for the first time, only made it all the better.

Tomorrow I deliver the musical accompaniment for a wedding dinner followed by 3 sets of dance friendly music with my friends in heatwave. This varied life full of experiences of all kinds makes me a happy little camper...

Here is this weeks video.

Etude no 6 from Thomas Lyng Poulsen on Vimeo.


Direct link to video

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar