søndag den 28. december 2014

Week 22 - Where prelude number 3 was postponed by guitarist enemy no. 1

Dette indlæg på dansk

Over christmas I foud the time to - when not enjoying my time with the people dearest to me - learn the next prelude in line. We're not talking hard-core-practise-discipline, but a few laid-back sessions, when time allowed. I was helped by knowing the piece fairly well, from studying (but not quite finishing) it, while I was still a student, and i was feeling quite ready to do a quick video-session today before throwing myself at the emptying of boxes. Project settling in, is once again at the forefront og things here, after a relaxing week across the country.

This means a lot of practical DIY'ish tasks, and yesterday the thing that just can't happen to a classical guitarist, happened; I broke nails. Yep, plural. I didn't notice when it happened, but it happened, and I am down to no white nail on i-m and a. Normally, I am not one to cancel performances, and have a very strong the-show-must-go-on attidude. A lot of nail-loss can be conpensated for, but this time, I really feel unable to follow through on my plan. I am, however planning on playing both 3 and 4 next week.

The third prelude is often referred to, as "homage to Bach" - it contains two formal sections, and especially the second one is a strong nod towards the master, using hidden counterpoint through a prolonged sequence. The whole movement is played twice, and I have heard quite a few guitarists complain about difficulty in finding a "reason" to play the whole thing again. I humbly believe, that I have found good solutions to this very real problem - but must admit to not obiding by Villa-Lobos' fingerings completely. Time will tell, if the PPP (Performance-Practise-Police) will treat me with mercy, og if I have to prepare to face the firing squad.

I considered making a blooper reel of my most epic mistakes during the course of my Villa-Lobos Journey, but chose to unbox some more stuff instead... However, the idea of a blooper reel has now been borrn, and may come in a later post. Happy New Year

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar