fredag den 28. november 2014

Week 18 - the week of 2 videos, 2 studies and 2 guitars

Dette indlæg på dansk

As I could not find the time to do a video last week, I was given one more week to practise study no 10 - and it has been a definite nice-to-have. Especially because the study contains such technical challenges! I wouldn't say, that I nailed it - but at least it is fairly clear, where the music wants to go. I have fallen in love with the contrast offered, by re-inserting the lyrical passage found in the 1928-manuscript, that was edited out in the published edition, therefore, as I hinted at, in last weeks text-only-post, it is now a part of my version of this study. My newly acquired Hans Henrik Hansen-guitar is perfect for the primitive, quasi-barbaric opening and endign - and it's unique singing qualities in the high register are perfect for the lyrical passage

etude no 10 from Thomas Lyng Poulsen on Vimeo.

Direct link to video


Sometimes, your past catchin gup with you, is not such a bad thing. In this case, I was thrilled to find, that study no 11, which I have played on earlier occasions, was already ready from the first playthrough (more or less). A fellow student once said: "My fingers remember" - and this was absolutely the case with this one! So I decided to film it too, and get back on schedule for my Villa-Lobos project. Musically, no comments are necessary - it speaks so clearly for itself. My trusyt old Rozas was the right gutiar for this one, I think; the warmth it holds in the lower register, is a perfect match for the opening theme, to my ears. The 1928 manuscript holds unique material for this one too, that didn't make it to the published edition. In this case, I find the formal structure of the published edition much clearer, which leads me to conclude, that this is the result of conscious editing, and not the haphasard ditto, that I sensed in study no 10. Because of this, i give you study 11, as published by Max Eschig.

etude no 11 from Thomas Lyng Poulsen on Vimeo.

Direct link to video

BTW: The video was shot in my new, currently empty music-room, in the house I spend the majority of my spare time fixing up, theses days.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar