fredag den 8. august 2014

Week 2 - Mazurka (Choro) from Suite Populaire Bresilienne

Dette indlæg på dansk

And so another week in the company of the great Brazilian has passed. Wikipedia, and various university websites have traded places with actual books of letters and biofraphies by, and about Heitor Villa-lobos. It is hard not to feel delighted with the Danish libraries. One easy search through a national database, 2 days of waiting, nad then I was able to pick up a nice pile of books at my local library. I can't wait to che my way through that pile!

The first movement from the "Suite Populaire Bresilienne" is called Mazurka (Choro). I read somewhere, that Villa-Lobos himself, was not pleased with the word "populaire" or with the (choro)-addendum to the title of each movement. The power of music publishers over composers was great in the early 20th century, though, so his reservations were overheard. I hope to find out more about this small, but possibly important detail when I read through my lovely on-loan collection of nice, hardcover books.

In terms of form, the Mazurka is identical to the Choro no. 1, that I worked on last week. A topic then arises again, that was on my mind with Choro no. 1 also: What to do, with the many repetitions of the main theme, in order to avoid boring the listener? Should anything be done at all? The listener did not hear (me play) the theme a thousand times during practise, and might find my ideas for making each presentation of the theme interesting a nuisance, and feel, that it clouds the enjoyment of the theme in its pure form.

The joy of verbatim repetition of stories is something, that we are all familiar with. As children, we were told the same stories over and over again. We might even have tried to reenact a game that was so much fun yesterday, to the limited enjoyment of those adults, that were cast to reenact their part, in what was arguably more fun to them, when it was a freely improvised experience... As an adult, I have read some of my favorite novels countless times, and listen to the same recordings again and again without them losing their appeal to me.

none the less, it is an entertaining challange, to fool around with a theme, and present it in a new guise through the course of the movement. Contrary to last week (when I, admittedly, did not have the technical surplus to fool around very much), in this video, I present the theme with a few twists... Again - this is a work in progress, I make mistakes, but I think the video gives a fair impression of my uderstanding of the music at this point in time

Several people have commented, publicly and privately on my last video being backlit, so I moved to a different location in the house. There may be others here, but I am determined not to make THAT rookie-mistake again.

Mazurka (Choro) from Suite Populaire Bresilienne *Work in progress* from Thomas Lyng Poulsen on Vimeo.


Direct link to video

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar